Everyone knows that kids love to make things. Here are five reasons why arts and crafts activities are good for them.
- Arts and crafts is a quiet activity, good for kids and for busy parents.
- Creating something, like a painting, stimulates the creative side of the brain.
- Helps develop motor skills. Some arts and crafts activities are tricky, which is a good thing.
- Develops deeper, problem-solving, thinking.
- Supports pride in accomplishment, a great self-confidence builder.
In today's world where entertainment is just a click away, sometimes it's good to return to simpler times. Long before we became obsessed with our cellphones and tablets, it was cool to make things - real, not digital, things. Like painting, sculpturing, or molding wild animals out of colored modeling dough.
At TGP, we're all about encouraging play.
- QUIET TIME: Encouraging children to get involved in arts and crafts activities provides several benefits, both to the kids themselves, as well as mothers (or stay-at-home fathers). For one thing, it promotes quiet time. This is time can occupy a child for hours, thus giving mom a welcome break. After all, moms or dads, do have a life themselves.
- STIMULATES CREATIVE THINKING: A good arts and crafts activity, like playing with modeling dough, can definitely fire up the creative side of kids’ brains. Imagination is key to a well-rounded childhood, and even simple activities can work. Children naturally gravitate to what interests them, so provide a few choices. Some kids will pick up the paintbrush, others will want to mold funny characters with dough. Either way, it’s all good.
- DEVELOPS MOTOR SKILLS: Yes, things like modeling dough (TF) and building things with matchsticks (Matchitecture) help develop hand-eye coordination in little hands. Kids like to build and make things - it’s a natural motivation. Parents can help this along by providing the right kind of creative arts and crafts ideas and tools.
- DEVELOPS PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS: If you want to build a house out of modeling dough, you have to think through the steps. Solving challenging problems through careful planning and organizing are important skills when growing up. Things don’t just happen; they have to be planned; that’s how arts and crafts activities can come into play.
- DEVELOPS PRIDE IN ACCOMPLISHMENT: Who can’t remember a time when you made something and were busting to show it off, no matter what it was made of? We all want acceptance and respect - especially true for children - so when they are able to actually create a piece of work, it pays huge dividends. When a child knows his or her work is appreciated, it builds self-confidence and assurance - two qualities necessary for balanced adult life.
Check out our wide selection of cool arts and crafts for kids included Tutti Frutti scented modeling dough, shown above. Have fun!